Saturday, August 30, 2008

SP12 Question 12

I’m sure most of us have a proudest moment when it comes to knitting. A project or technique that you’ve tackled and completed beautifully. What is your proudest knitting moment??

And on the flip side? What is the one thing that you can’t get right? What is that one project that you’ve never been able to complete? Or that you did complete but then hid away instantly because it was too embarrassing?

These two questions have provided me with much food for thought. I don't have two distinct answers, but here is what I realize about my knitting from contemplating them: When I select something to knit, I almost always make my choice based on the knitting experience I want to have. So I guess that makes me what is called a process knitter. A long time ago, I knit an Aran sweater out of hideous, cheap navy blue acrylic yarn for a (long ago) boyfriend. I obviously had no idea how to select quality yarn (I was VERY young), and I had no understanding that navy blue would not show up my patterns very well. But I wanted to knit Aran, and knit Aran I did. I enjoyed following the various patterns and completing each piece of the sweater. I think the guy did wear it, but it was a pretty sorry, saggy mess. Still, in some ways, I am STILL proud of my effort, and yet embarrassed at the result. See? It fits both questions.

Another time I decided I wanted to to knit some argyle socks. I had never knit ANY sock before, and again, I enjoyed the challenge. This time, because the materials were high quality and the color choices sound, the finished product was quite wonderful. I was very proud! The only embarassing aspect to this project is that I knitted them for a very undeserving (yup) boyfriend. He had no idea what kind of work went into the socks, and I don't know if they were ever worn. Still, I do think back on them with pride, because I learned how to make socks!

Another long-ago project was an intricate Patricia Roberts design. I think this was about 20 years ago (I've been knitting since I was seven). The sweater was knit entirely of a mohair/silk blend. It had a "background" design of repeating, large bobbles, and the front AND BACK were an elaborate intarsia scene featuring dogs, curtains with 3 dimensional ribbon ties, a clock, and a pot of (also 3 dimensional) flowers. I think that is a correct description. The main color was a beautiful cranberry. The bobbles were pink, and I can't remember what the dogs were. I worked like crazy on that sweater, and it was a true work of art. Only problem: I do not have the kind of body that looks good in a large, patterned, fuzzy mohair sweater. (Does anyone other than a model?) I also tend to be warm, and therefore I almost never wear sweaters unless they are cardigans. So I wore this fuzzy thing maybe once or twice. Believe it or not, I ended up selling it on ebay, probably for far less than the cost of the yarn. So here again, I was proud; I had created what I still consider a minor masterpiece, but the choice of sweater, for me, was quite embarrassing, and just plain wrong!

I have certainly made knitted items that I or the recipient both love and wear, but I have yet to make a sweater that I have ever worn more than once. If you check my ravelry queue, you will see that I do plan to make some sweaters. I hope I wear them!

Sorry for the lack of photos, but these relics from my past were never documented. Well, the fuzzy mohair was when I sold it on ebay, but I think that photo is long gone....

I have some yarn waiting for me when I get home from California for two sweaters. Stay tuned to see their fate!

No comments: