Friday, June 27, 2008

the "Perfect" Stash?


First of all, please forgive my recent silence.

When I was a little girl and I was feeling sad, my mother would say "You look like you lost your best friend." That phrase rang in my ears again and again this week upon hearing that my dear friend, who I've known since high school, Robin lost her long battle with breast cancer. So I've been sad, and quiet, but I have many, many warm memories.

Just last month, I had the pleasure of attending the wedding of Robin's daughter Jessie Here is a picture of Robin and me at the wedding.

I have learned much from my dear friend, and she has always been an inspiration and role model for me. Robin lived life better than most; I always felt she had a better handle on being a grown up then I ever would. I miss her so much. In the coming weeks, I will post some more photos and share more memories.

Now, as to the question of a "perfect stash". Well, if it were perfect, it would be like this:

  • Take up no more space than I could fit comfortably in my yarn bin system.
  • Hold yarns of every hue, value and tint, organized according to the color wheel.
  • Each yarn would come in lace, sock, dk, worsted, aran and bulky weight.
  • The fiber content of each yarn would magically change with the seasons as well as my mood. On hot summer days, I could find a lace weight, or cool bamboo, silk or rayon yarn, but as the days draw closer to fall, I'd find wool, alpaca and maybe even cashmere (hey this is perfection, right?)
  • There would be no acrylic yarns or ugly colors.
  • Each yarn would have the exact yardage (plus a little extra) for whatever I felt like knitting at any given time.
  • Each skein would have it's label intact and legible.
  • My stash would automatically repel moths and dust.
  • If I had to move, my stash would pack itself up, compress into portable dimensions and teleport to my new destination.
Perfect enough?

1 comment:

SoapDoc said...

OMGoodness - she looks so WELL there. I am so sorry for your loss ;(

Death is something that I have an extremely hard time with -- the last death I had to deal with made me agoraphobic -- that was 12 years ago.

In March, my Grandmother died -- I have yet to uncover the ramifications from that death and it was just as tragic an event :(

My sincere condolences to you and to Robin's Family.