Sunday, June 8, 2008

Secret Pal 12, I'm Ready!

Here are my responses to the questionnaire:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love the classic yarns; wool, cotton, alpaca. I like lace weight up to aran, but I don't have much use for heavy yarns. I also like bamboo, tofutsies and "new" fibers. I dislike acrylic, chenille and anything scratchy.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I mostly use circulars and got a "second" of The Circular Solution a while back, which is where most of my needles are when not in use. I have been vaguely lusting after a more portable system for circulars. As for straights, I have a few prized pairs of Lantern Moon and other exotic wood needles which I do not have a really good place for storing. BTW, I prefer pointy to blunt on all my needles.


3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting since I was seven and would consider myself somewhere between intermediate and advanced. Not many patterns would scare me off, but I do not enjoy intarsia as much as I think I should.


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I do have an Amazon.com wish lists and my username is AbbyC

5. What's your favorite scent?
Stargazer lilies and lilacs. I also love lavender. My least favorite scent is cigarette smoke.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Not much of a sweet tooth. I do love really dark chocolate, but one bar can last me a month or more.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I make lampwork glass beads and I sew. My bead website is www.gamineglass.com. I have done a little spinning on a spindle but don't know how to spin on a wheel -- yet. It's definitely in the plan.


8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My musical tastes are eclectic. Some frequently played examples from my ipod: Vampire Weekend, Of Montreal, The Clash, Elvis Costello, The Decemberists, North Mississippi All Stars, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Chris Thile, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie. I could go on and on.... I also recently started playing the mandolin.


9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Purple would be my favorite, but I like most colors.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Two teenagers! No other pets, but I keep threatening.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves: rarely, hats: occasionally, ponchos: NEVER.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love to knit socks and lace, but I am trying hard to get myself to make more sweaters. I love to wear cardigans. Pullovers usually make me too hot. I like making hats, gloves and mittens also. I also like to knit tank tops and summery lightweight feminine things.

13. What are you knitting right now?
I am in the middle of my third pair of Detonators for Sock Wars iii, Norah Gaughan's Tilted Duster, that beautiful cable and lace top from the latest Vogue knitting, a pair of Monkeys (sock pattern from knitty.com) and I am sort of trying to make the Lotus Blossom tank.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love Addi turbos and want to try their lace turbos soon. In straights, I like the exotic (read expensive) woods like rosewood. As I mentioned above, I like my points pointy!

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yup.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About three years. It's a Hanne Falkenberg Da Capo that just got way out of control. And I don't like the colors anymore.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Just one? I'd have to pick Purim. Close runners-up are Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving and Halloween. The Summer Solstice is particularly fun in Seattle ;)

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides dust bunnies? Yes, BOOKS, beads, glass (for beadmaking), jewelry findings and tools, music. Looking at my closet, I think I also collect shoes and bags.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Oh, man. See my amazon.com wish list. I always lust after the Rowan magazine, but since I've never knit anything from it, I have trouble justifying the expense. I subscribe to: Interweave Knits, Knitter's, Vogue Knitting and Cast On (TKGA mag).

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I would like to learn spinning on a wheel, get better at drop spindle spinning and learn the secrets of intarsia.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Oh, yeah! My foot is small; I wear 5 1/2 or 6 in shoes, depending on how they're made. I have a very high instep.

23. When is your birthday?
February 24. Pisces.

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? My Ravelry ID is Abbyknitz.

More about me: I have ADD, I love to read, I am short. I love the ocean and snow.

No comments: